Vasil Levski was the greatest Bulgarian revolutionary against the Turkish yoke. The Bulgarian people and his associates called him “the Apostle of Freedom”. Levski was the ideologist of the National Bulgarian Liberation movement, founder of the Internal revolutionary organization and the Central Bulgarian Revolutionary Committee.
It includes a memorial exhibition – the house of birth of the apostle of Bulgarian freedom, Vassil Levski, and a hall, that tells about his activities and path of life.
The tomb near the village of Starosel was found in 2000 and convert into sensation not only for the archeologists. The Starosel tumulus is the largest known so far.
In its 100 years of history the Historical museum in Karlovo treasures monuments of culture from ancient times to the present day.
The old houses of Karlovo have high architectural value with their woodcarved ceilings, the yards with decorative doors and marvelous murals on the stonewalls, the silent cobbled yards and shady vines, box shrub and flower gardens.
The impressive monument of Vasil Levski erected in 1903-1907 by Marin Vasilev is situated in the center of the Old town of Karlovo.
Here in 1858 the day of the Cyrillic Alphabet was celebrated for the first time.
Masters-builders from Bratsigovo and Karlovo built the “St. Virgin” church in 1851.
It is designed in a style very popular during the Bulgarian Revival period.
The “Vassil Levski” Community Center is a major center for cultural activities in the town. It is an initiator of many events, included in the cultural calendar of the Municipality of Karlovo.
The Chetinyova tumulus by the village of Starossel is part of the Starossel Thracian cult complex. The tumulus is 21 m high. It is surrounded by a well-preserved supporting wall with a total length of 241 m and height of 3 m.
One of the most interesting and beautiful buildings situated in the Revival Period neighborhood of Karlovo, is located right opposite the Sveta Bogoroditsa (Holy Virgin) church, is the so called “Bouhalov Han” (Inn) - built in the 19th century, and donated to the town by one of the founders of the Female Movement in Bulgaria, Penka Popova.